Disney's Old Key West Resort
Disney's Old Key West Resort brings a little bit of the Florida Keys to Disney World guests and gives you the chance to relax in a spacious and comfortable studio unit with kitchenette or a villa with one or two bedrooms and full kitchen in the Disney Springs (formerly Downtown Disney) resort area. The main area of the resort is called Conch Flats and replicates an waterside village with a gift shop, dining, recreational activities a water taxi (no extra charge) to the dining and entertainment opportunities found at Downtown Disney. You'll be able to relax in a tropical paradise that captures the spirit of the Florida Keys that Ernest Hemmingway knew and loved. Guests stay in 49 pastel colored 3-story buildings with shutters and white trim that are clustered around beautifully landscaped courtyards and nearby pools. Bonnet Creek and a golf course also add charm to the setting and give guests an opportunity to enjoy a real resort experience, rather than just a hotel stay. This is a Disney Vacation Club (DVC - Disney timeshare) resort but anyone is welcome to book a stay at this resort as either a "room only" reservation or part of a Disney World vacation package.
Disney's Old Key West Resort Pro & Con
Advantages - Very comfortable, lush setting with a neat feature pool and beautiful landscaping give guests an opportunity to enjoy a relaxing resort vacation that includes recreational opportunities beyond the theme parks. The villas are a comfortable option for families with small children or grandparents who want to be able to enjoy some down time in a comfortable setting with more amenities than a standard hotel room generally offers. This resort has larger units that DVC resorts that were added later - for example, a studio unit here is about 376 square feet, which is almost 25% larger than the 300-square foot studio units at Disney's Bay Lake Tower. Guests enjoy the close proximity of the smaller courtyard pools sprinkled throughout the resort as well as the delightful and whimsical Sand Castle themed feature pool. When Disney offers room rate discounts, this resort regularly receives some of the deepest discounts of any of the Deluxe Villa resorts.
Disadvantages - This resort is huge! That isn't necessarily a bad thing if you want to kick back and enjoy the resort itself but it can be hassle if you're in the buildings farthest from the main services area so you'll want to talk to your travel agent about including a building request with your reservation. Transportation to the theme parks can be inefficient from this resort so having your own vehicle is probably a good idea. Some of the first buildings built have bathrooms that require guests to enter the master bedroom, which isn't ideal; later buildings corrected this issue. This is a deluxe resort and accommodations come at a deluxe price; guests who will spend most of their time in the theme parks may be better off with lower priced, standard Disney World hotel room options. This resort is short on restaurants, perhaps because all of the units come with kitchenettes or full kitchens, but plenty of dining options can be found by taking the boat to Downtown Disney.
Disney's Old Key West Resort Amenities
- Outdoor movies are available each evening by the Family Tree.
- 149,000-gallon Sandcastle Pool with 125-foot water-slide
- Leisure Pools with Whirlpool Spa located at Old Turtle Pond, South Point and Miller's Road sections.
- Dry sauna
- Kiddie Pool
- Fitness Center
- Conch Flats Community Hall with Foosball, pool, Video games, Ping Pong & shuffleboard with equipment check-out for tennis, basketball & Volleyball.
- Evening campfire program behind the volleyball courts
- Boat rentals available at the onsite marina (extra charge)
- Bike Rentals Available (extra charge)
- 2 Lighted Tennis Courts
- Basketball Court
- Sand Volleyball Court
- 1.37 mile jogging path
- 3 Playgrounds for children
- Electric Eel Arcade
- Flying Fish Arcade
- On-site Restaurants
- On-Site shopping
- Free transportation to the Disney Parks
- Free Parking for registered resort guests.
- Charming waterfront area
- Special resort activities
- Villas have washers & Dryers / Coin Laundry available for studio units.
Disney's Old Key West Resort Dining
- Good's Food to Go - Burgers, hot dogs, sandwiches, salads, soups, ice cream, and beverages near the main pool.
- Turtle Shack Snack Bar - Pizza, sandwiches, hot dogs, salads, and soft drinks. Open seasonally.
- Olivia's Cafe - Nautical themed diner. (Disney Dining Plan "table service" location)
- Gurgling Suitcase Libations & Spirits - Key West-style bar.
- Pizza Delivery
- Boat transportation available to Disney Springs opens up a lot of great dining options
Disney's Old Key West Resort Shopping
- Conch Flats General Store - This gift shop sells some groceries, snacks, sundries, beverages, gifts & hotel log items.
- For more extensive grocery needs, you can save time and money by having snacks, bottled water and other food items delivered directly to the resort by Garden Grocer - Click HERE for more information.
- Boat transportation to the Disney Springs shopping district (formerly Downtown Disney)
Disney's Old Key West Resort Transportation
Guests may use Disney's Magical Express - a shuttle bus service included in your reservation - between the Orlando International Airport and this Resort. Bus transportation is available to the Disney World theme parks, and Water Parks. A complimentary water taxi provides transportation to Disney Springs (formerly Downtown Disney) except when lightning is present; bus transportation is also available to Disney Springs.
Disney's Old Key West Resort Accommodation Options
- Studio Units - 376-square feet unit with a kitchenette featuring a microwave and mini-refrigerator. Queen bed & sofa sleeper can accommodate 4 guests + 1 baby in a crib.
- 1-Bedroom / 1-Bathroom Villas - 942-square feet. King bed in the bedroom with a queen sleeper & sleeper chair with a full kitchen in the living area can accommodate 5 guests + 1 baby in a crib. The bathroom features a whirlpool bath.
- 2-Bedroom / 2-bathroom Villas -1333-square feet. King bed in the master bedroom, 2 queen beds in the second bedroom, a queen sleeper and sleeper chair with a full kitchen and laundry area. Accommodates 9 guests + 1 baby in a crib. Master bath includes a whirlpool tub.
- 3-Bedroom Grand Villas - 2375-square feet. King bed in the master bedroom, 2 queen beds in the second bedroom, 2 double beds in the third bedroom, a queen sleeper and sleeper chair with a full kitchen and laundry area. Accommodates 13 guests + 1 baby in a crib. Villa has three bathrooms and the master bath includes a whirlpool tub.
Our Opinion of Disney's Old Key West Resort
We're a little torn on when it comes to Disney's Old Key West - as a resort, it feels friendly and relaxed with some great recreational options for guests; if you are looking for a resort experience, we can confidently recommend this location. Unfortunately, it has some weaknesses as a "Disney World" hotel in that the theme park transportation isn't efficient and, because of the resort's size, the walk back to your room after a long day in a theme park may feel like a bit of an endurance exercise, especially with tired children in tow. These problems are managed by having your own vehicle but you may be happier at a different resort if you are depending on Disney transportation.
Let us help you make a reservation and great memories at Disney's Serene and Spacious Old Key West Resort
Build A Better Mouse Trip always books directly with Walt Disney World and you will never pay any more than if you booked yourself. Our clients are very important to us and we offer some special services designed to make your trip the best that it can be:
- We help you with a "Best Days" itinerary designed to put you in the least crowded park and/or in the park with the best entertainment each day of your trip.
- We make dining reservations on your behalf - subject to availability.
- We provide Disney Theme Park touring plans that are designed to let you do all the things you want to do in a way that keeps you ahead of the crowds and out of the long lines.
- We're available to answer your questions about Disney resorts, restaurants, rides, shows, and attractions.
These services are our thank you to you when you book your Walt Disney World vacation through Build A Better Mouse Trip - you don't pay any extra for all this extra planning help.
Old Key West Resort Address & Phone Number
1510 North Cove Road
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-8421
Phone: 407- 827-7700