Disney's All Star Sports Resort
Disney's All-Star Sports Resort (ASSp) is one of the five Disney World Value resorts and provides an economical option for families who want to enjoy the benefits of staying at an official Disney World hotel. Disney's All-Star Sports Resort has 1920 sports-themed, standard guest rooms that can accommodate up to four guests per room, or five guests if the fifth person is a baby in a crib. There are five sets of sports themed buildings that feature multi-story athletic equipment icons. The 260 square foot rooms are fairly basic, but they're clean and cute and are very popular with sports groups and guests who spend a lot of time in the theme parks. Disney's All Star Sports Resort has two themed swimming pools and the Surfboard Bay Pool feature pool has organized poolside activities for children during the afternoons, including a poolside Disney movie each evening.
Disney's All Star Sports Resort Pro & Con
Advantages - Clean and comfortable accommodations with two cute pools and colorful sports themed buildings. The value resorts enjoy many of the same benefits as the more expensive resorts - things like "Extra Magic Hours" or free Disney theme park transportation - but at a much lower price. Guests here enjoy free parking, both at the resort and at the Disney theme parks. Guests can also take advantage of Disney's Magical Express - complimentary transportation between the Orlando International Airport and the resort. As of 2012, all rooms now have mini-refrigerators at no extra cost. Depending on the type of Disney promotion offered, All-Star Sports sometimes costs less than Disney's All-Star Movies or Pop Century Resorts.
Disadvantages - The rooms are small - 260 square feet - and basic; they're fine for people on a budget or who spend most of their time in the theme parks and just want a clean, convenient place to sleep. During low seasons or off-times, the All-Star resorts might share buses but, in that case, the All-Star Sports resort is typically the first stop. The value resorts do not have slides at the pools. There is a food court, but the resort does not have a table-service restaurant. Disney's All-Star Sports resort frequently gets sports teams and groups who come to Disney World for various sports-related events and these groups often mean extra noise for surrounding guests.
Disney's All-Star Sports Resort Amenities
- The Surfboard Bay Feature Pool
- Poolside Movie
- The Grand Slam Pool
- Wet-play Area & Wading Pool for children
- Game Point Arcade
- End Zone Food Court
- On-Site shopping
- Daily Maid Service
- Wi-Fi Internet Access
- Concierge desk services
- Luggage Service (hourly drop-off schedule)
- Valet Service Dry Cleaning & Laundry Service
- Coin Laundry available
- ATM machine
- Express Check-Out
- Free transportation to the Disney Parks
- Free Parking for registered resort guests
- Theme park purchases delivered to the resort
- Pizza Delivery
- Jogging Trail - Approximately 1 mile around the Disney's All-Star Resort complex. Trail maps are available at the concierge desk
Disney's All-Star Sports Resort Dining
- End Zone Food Court - a cafeteria style, quick service restaurant. This food court features food stations with a variety of options. You'll find a nice variety of breakfast items in the morning. For lunch and dinner, The End Zone has pizza & pasta items, nachos, quesadillas, soups, salads, burgers, sandwiches, chicken nuggets, and hotdogs, There is also an area features grab-and-go items like sandwiches and fruit cups and an area with ice cream and bakery items. Kids meals are available. Because all stations share centrally located cash registered, everyone can make easily selections from the station of their choice. You can refill your resort mug at the beverage station. The End Zone Food Court is a Disney Dining Plan Quick Service Location.
- Pizza Delivery - 5PM to Midnight
- Team Spirits Pool Bar - Specialty drinks, beer, sodas, etc.
- This resort does not have a table-service restaurant.
Disney's All-Star Sports Resort Shopping
- Sport Goofy Gifts and Sundries in the Stadium Hall Building for sundries and souvenirs.
Disney's All-Star Sports Room Options
- The rooms are located in ten 3-story buildings in five themed areas: Surf's Up, Touchdown!, Center Court, Homerun Hotel and Hoops Hotel. Each building has stairs and elevators.
- Standard Room – Sleeps up to 4 (or 5 with a crib). 2 double beds or 1 king bed.
- Preferred Location Rooms - These rooms are the same size and style as the standard rooms but are located closer to Stadium Hall, the Bus Stops, and the Surf Board Bay pool. Preferred location rooms are located in the Surf's Up buildings.
- Accessible rooms for guests with disabilities, including wheelchair and hearing accessible rooms. TTY equipment is available upon request at check-in. Service animals are welcome. Wheelchair accessible transportation available to the theme parks.
- There are 960 connecting rooms - two rooms joined by an interior door - at Disney's All-Star Sports Resort.
- 96 Rooms have one King bed, instead of two double beds. Couples can request these rooms but because these are also handicap accessible rooms, guests with disabilities will have priority.
- All of the rooms are approximately 260 square feet.
Disney's All-Star Sports Resort Room Features
- 2 Double-size beds or 1 king-size bed.
- Table & 2 Chairs
- 1 sink in the vanity area.
- Combination Bathtub/Shower in most rooms.
- Large roll-in shower stall in handicap accessible rooms.
- Flat Screen Cable TV with Disney Programming
- Alarm Clock
- In-Room Wall Safe
- Rooms and Facilities for Guests with Disabilities
- Wi-Fi is available in all Guest rooms & select public spaces
- Hair dryer
- Iron and Ironing Board
- Pack ‘n Play Crib available upon request.
- Mini-Refrigerator now standard in all Disney value resort rooms.
For Guest with Disabilities
Disney's All-Star Sports Resort includes rooms available to guests with disabilities, including wheelchair-accessible bathrooms and rooms designed for the hearing impaired. Complimentary wheelchairs are available on a first-come, first-served basis and cannot be reserved in advance. Guests who require wheelchairs are encouraged to bring their own equipment or make arrangements with an Orlando-area vendor prior to arrival at Walt Disney World Resort. Sharps containers are available upon request at no extra charge for guests who need to dispose of needles.
Guests may use Disney's Magical Express - a shuttle bus service included in your reservation - between the Orlando International Airport and Disney's All-Star Sports Resort.
Disney buses are available to take resort guests to the Walt Disney World theme parks, Typhoon Lagoon & Blizzard Beach Water Parks, Downtown Disney and ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex.
TIP: The three Disney All-Star Resorts look very similar so be sure you are at the right resort before exiting, when the All-Star resorts share buses.
Complimentary transportation to the Disney World golf courses is arranged through the resort concierge desk. Guests must have a tee time reservation with confirmation number and transportation should be arranged the day prior to your tee time.
Our Opinion of Disney's All-Star Sports Resort
We love the fact that Disney's All-Star Sports Resort is clean, fun, and has all the Disney benefits at price that normal people can afford. It may make sense to splurge on a moderate or deluxe hotel if you'll spend enough time at the resort to enjoy the amenities but the value resorts are a great fit for guests who spend almost all of their waking hours in the theme parks. We wish the value resorts had queen beds, and it would be nice if the pool had a slide, but those are our only real complaints.
Let us help you make a reservation and great memories at Disney's All-Star Sports Resort
Build A Better Mouse Trip always books directly with Walt Disney World and you will never pay any more than if you booked yourself. Our clients are very important to us and we offer some special services designed to make your trip the best that it can be:
We help you with a "Best Days" itinerary designed to put you in the least crowded park and/or in the park with the best entertainment each day of your trip. We make dining reservations on your behalf - subject to availability. We provide Disney Theme Park touring plans that are designed to let you do all the things you want to do in a way that keeps you ahead of the crowds and out of the long lines. We're available to answer your questions about Disney resorts, restaurants, rides, shows, and attractions.
These services are our thank you to you when you book your Walt Disney World vacation through Build A Better Mouse Trip - you don't pay any extra for all this extra planning help.
Disney's All-Star Sports Resort Address & Phone Number
1701 West Buena Vista Drive
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830
Disney's All-Star Sports Resort Trivia
- Disney's All-Star Sports Resort was the first Disney World value resort - it opened in waves as construction was completed, with the first section opening on April 29, 1994.
- Disney's All-Star Sports is often abbreviated ASSp by Disney fans.
- The Gold Star in the front of All-Star Sports is 55 feet high and weighs 55,000 pounds. There are identical stars at the entrances of the Disney All-Star Movies and All-Star Music resorts.
- Surf's Up Area - the surf boards and shark's fins on these buildings are approximately 38 feet tall. There are approximately 950 Red Snapper and Dolphin Fish that decorate these buildings.
- The giant tennis ball cans in the Center Court area of this resort would hold 9,474,609 regulation size tennis balls. The racquets that decorate these buildings are 51 feet tall.
- The whistles in the Hoops Up area of All-Star Sports are 60-feet long and 20-feet tall. There are over 70 giant basketballs that decorate the exterior of these buildings.
- If you look in the lobby of Disney's All-Star Sports, you'll notice that the check-in desks look like rows of sport's lockers.
- You would think that this resort would feature The Mighty Ducks from the Disney hockey movie series, but it doesn't. The Mighty Duck buildings and pools are found at Disney's All-Star Movies Resort.
- The Surfboard Bay Pool holds 242,471 gallons of water.
- The Grand Slam Pool holds features Goofy on a pitchers mound. Goofy was the star of a 1942 Disney cartoon called "How to Play Baseball" which was part of a series of "How to' cartoons staring Goofy. These included "How to Swim" (1942), "How to Play Golf" (1944), "How to Play Football" (1944).
- Sport Goofy Gifts & Sundries - In addition to the "How to Play..." cartoons mentioned above, Goofy was featured in several other sports themed cartoons making him a great mascot for the resort's gift shop. These cartoons include "The Art of Skiing" (1941), The Olympic Champ (1942), Hockey Homicide (1945) Tennis Racquet (1949) and Goofy Gymnastics (1949). You can see most of these cartoons on YouTube, which might be a fun thing to do prior to your visit to Disney's All-Star Sports Resort.
- Disney's All-Star Sports Resort has a statue of a frustrated Donald Duck trying to play tennis with his nephews who are actually batting baseballs to him. I don't think this scene is taken from a cartoon but the October 1944 edition of Walt Disney's Comics includes a frustrated Donald Duck playing tennis with Mickey Mouse.
- Disney's All-Star Sports Resort has been recognized by the Florida Green Lodging Program for its environmentally responsible practices.
- Disney's All-Star Sports Resort is right by Disney's All-Star Music and All-Star Movies Resorts. Guests of one All-Star resort are welcome to use the swimming pools and food courts at any of the other All-Star resorts.
- Disney's All-Star Sports Resort has 10 buildings that are three stories high. Each building has stairs and elevators.
- Preferred location rooms are closer to the resort bus stop, food court, and feature pool but can also be noisy due to all of the activity in this area. Request a top floor room to enjoy a quieter stay at Disney's All-Star Sports.
- A Florida county line passes through Disney World property so the Disney's All-Star Resorts are located in Osceola County - all of the other Disney World resort hotels are located in Orange County.
Photo credits: All photos marked buildabettermousetrip.com are our own.