Disney World in October
October is such a wonderful month to visit Disney World! When you're lucky, the weather starts to cool and there is so much to see and do. A lot of schools are now offering a fall break so October crowds are bigger than they used to be but we've put together the information below to help you have a great trip. Keep reading to find out about crowds, closures and special events during your October trip to Disney World.
Average High: 84° f
Average Low: 65° f
Average Monthly Precipitation: 3.24"
Disney World Ride Closures & Refurbishments in October 2017:
- Magic Kingdom - Wishes Fireworks are not currently scheduled for August 25, 29; September 1, 7, 10, 12, 15, 17, 19, 22, 24, 26, 29, October 1, 3, 5, 6, 9, 10, 12, 13, 15, 17, 19, 20, 22, 24, 26, 27, 29, 31; November 1, 2017 due to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, a separately ticketed event. The park will close at 7:00PM on these nights for Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Parties (separately ticketed event).
- Magic Kingdom - Splash Mountain will be closed August 28 - November 16, 2017.
- Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort - Old Port Royale Food Court, Shutters restaurant, Cabana Pool Bar & the Calypso Trading Post will be closed from May 1, 2017 to June 18, 2018. Dining options will be available for breakfast, lunch & dinner. Centertown will serve breakfast & dinner. Grab-and-Go meals like pastries, salads, fruit, and sandwiches will be sold in the Aruba, Jamaica and Aruba sections of the resort. In-room dining will still be available.
- We will update this section as more information becomes available.
Don't Miss Out on Great Experiences at Disney World!
We want to help you have the most wonderful, most memorable Disney vacation possible. We know that giving you good, up-to-date information and a few simple tools will make a huge difference in your Disney vacation. Long lines become short lines and you will have great memories of shared experiences instead of missed opportunities. That's why we're called Build A Better Mouse Trip.
Here’s how we help you have a great vacation:
- Your travel agent – You have one agent from start-to-finish who knows your name and your priorities and who wants to do everything possible to help you have a wonderful experience.
- “Best Days” Itinerary – We’ll help you build an itinerary that includes your priorities for fireworks, parades, crowds and shows. Then we help with dining & Fastpass+ reservations.
- Saving Money – Of course we watch for discounts and promotion and automatically apply the best available offer to your reservation but we also help you avoid up-sells and options you won’t use.
- We Are Fee-Free - We book directly through Disney and we never charge a service fee so you never pay any extra to use our services when you book your trip through us. You can have all the benefits Disney offers PLUS all the services we offer. You can also purchase planning services through us if you've booked on your own or through another travel agency.
Special Events at Disney World in October:
- The Magical Extras Savings Card is included in every Walt Disney World Resort vacation package and provides discounts at several restaurants, shops, and activities. Click here for full details.
- Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - Select night at Magic Kingdom / 7PM - Midnight - This is a specially ticketed event - you cannot use your Magic Your Way or Park Hopper Ticket - and is a lot of fun for families. Ticket prices vary from $$67 - $105, depending on the date and age of participant. These parties include special activities, a parade, fireworks, rides and trick-or-treating and many guests wear costumes. Remember that this time of year can still be hot so choose cost"Happily Ever After' fireworks on these nights. Restaurant reservations in the resorts closest to the Magic Kingdom fill early on these nights. 2017 Party dates: August 25, 29; September 1, 7, 10, 12, 15, 17, 19, 22, 24, 26, 29, October 1, 3, 5, 6, 9, 10, 12, 13, 15, 17, 19, 20, 22, 24, 26, 27, 29, 31; & November 1. Click here for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party tips and information.
- Epcot's International Food & Wine Festival - August 31 - November 13, 2017. This very popular event is included with your regular Epcot admission although there are special events related to this festival that do have a separate fee. Enjoy food and wine themed demonstrations. Chefs and winemakers from around the globe have booths were you can savor the amazing flavors available for sale- both in full meals and in snack sized portions. Disney Dining Plan credits can typically be used for non-alcoholic items - in fact, a lot of people "hoard" their snack credits just to use at the festival. Tip: This is a very popular event so the weekends will be more crowded than usual at Epcot as locals and annual passholders come to take in the festivities. Weekdays, especially Mondays, will be much less crowded.
- Disney Springs - Lego Store Events - The Lego Store offers periodic activities like building events or Lego Club meetings, and special offers. Click here for the current month and next month's calendar.
Crowd Warnings for Disney World in October:
- Columbus Day Weekend - We always see a spike on a week with a federal holiday. Arrive at the park at least 15 minutes before opening and use a good touring plan and you'll be just fine.
- Some thoughts on Extra Magic Hours: Extra Magic Hour(s) is when one of the Disney theme parks opens an hour early or stays open two extra hours after closing for guests staying at one of the official Disney hotels. Because Disney has 33,000 hotel rooms, the Extra Magic Hour Park will always be the most crowded park of the day so it may make sense to enjoy more attractions in less time by going to a less crowded park. Remember too that you'll have to get up early or stay up late to take advantage of Extra Magic Hours so think about your family's energy level before deciding to go. On the other hand, the Magic Kingdom closes early on so many nights in October that Evening Extra Magic Hours can help you get the time you need in the wonderful park. Guests staying at a non-Disney hotel still need to know which park has Extra Magic Hours so you don't end up in line behind people who got in an hour before you. Check here to see the schedule for Extra Magic Hours during your Disney vacation.
- Be smart about Character Breakfast reservations - Something you should consider when thinking about Character Breakfast reservations is that the theme parks are at their least crowded and coolest when the parks first open for the day. In my opinion, there is no good reason to sit in a restaurant when lines are short and then head out to the attractions when the day is heating up and the lines have already started to form. A character lunch or dinner can give you a much-needed break in an air conditioned setting after you've had a chance to enjoy the parks when the crowds were low. If you love character breakfasts, consider booking a late character breakfast seating and treat it like brunch - this will still let you enjoy the short lines just after park opening before sitting down to eat. Water park days and departure day are also great possibilities for people who love character breakfasts.
- Fantasmic! at Disney's Hollywood Studios - Fantasmic! will have at least one performance every night in October except (Dates to be announced). If Disney adds a second performance, the second performance will always be less crowded than the first. Warning: This show is excellent but it does feature villains for a good 8-10 minutes and the lake catches fire, which can be frightening to some small children.
- Save time and money by having snacks, bottled water and other food items delivered directly to your resort by Garden Grocer - Click HERE for more information.
- Why you need a Disney-focused travel agent: Tips and information like this one of the biggest benefits of having a Disney-focused travel agent help you plan your Disney vacation. Our agents will help you have a better trip by providing a "Best Days" itinerary that puts you in the best theme park for each day of your trip, by booking dining reservation on your behalf (subject to availability) at times that don't interfere with parades and fireworks, and by giving you excellent theme park touring plans that keep lines to an absolute minimum. You get all of this expert service at no extra charge when you book your Disney vacation through Build A Better Mouse Trip.
Use the month buttons below for lists of Disney World ride closures, attraction refurbishments, special events and crowd warnings by month. We hope this information helps you have a wonderful and memorable vacation.