Disney World in April
April is such a beautiful month to visit Walt Disney World - the weather is gorgeous and the flowers are at their finest. Expect mid-level crowds all month except for Easter week, when crowds spike to peak levels. Use a good touring plan to help you manage lines and plan to have a great time. Keep reading to find out about crowds, closures and special events during your April trip to Disney World.
Average High: 82° f
Average Low: 58° f
Average Monthly Precipitation: 2.32"
Disney World Ride Closures & Refurbishments in April 2018:
- Early Opening For Everyone: The Disney theme parks typically open to the general public at 9:00AM but the Magic Kingdom will open at 8:00AM on March 23 - 23, March 26 - 31, and April 1- 7, 2018. Disney's Animal Kingdom will open to the general public at 8:00AM on March 20 - 31 and April 1- 7, 2018.
- Animal Kingdom - Finding Nemo - The Musical will be closed from February 4 - To Be Determined.
- Disney's Typhoon Lagoon Water Park will close for refurbishment on January 7 through March 18, 2018.
- Disney Springs - Portobello Country Italian Trattoria is closed until further notice.
- Disney's All-Star Movies Resort - Duck Pond Leisure Pool will be closed January 2 - Spring 2018. Room refurbishments will begin in late February and continue through Winter 2018. Construction activities will be limited to 9:00AM - Dusk.
- Disney's All-Star Music Resort - Calypso Feature Pool will be closed late February - early March 2018.
- Disney's Boardwalk Inn & Villas is undergoing some refurbishment projects across the property until further notice and guests may notice work being done through noise should not be heard from guest rooms between dusk and 9:00AM. The resort remains in full operation with pools, dining, merchandise and recreation areas all open.
- Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort - Old Port Royale Food Court, Shutters restaurant, Cabana Pool Bar & the Calypso Trading Post will be closed from May 1, 2017 to through Fall 2018. Dining options will be available for breakfast, lunch & dinner. Centertown will serve breakfast & dinner. Spyglass Grill (opening Spring 2018), located in Trinidad South, serves breakfast. lunch and dinner. Grab-and-Go meals like pastries, salads, fruit, and sandwiches will be sold in the Aruba, Jamaica and Aruba sections of the resort. In-room dining will still be available.
- Disney's Coronado Springs Resort is undergoing some refurbishment projects across the property until further notice and guests may notice work being done through noise should not be heard from guest rooms between dusk and 9:00AM. The resort remains in full operation with pools, dining, merchandise and recreation areas all open.
- Disney's Grand Floridian Resort Beach Pool & Pool Bar will be closed January 2 - Spring 2018 though the water play area is still open. The courtyard pool is also open.
- Disney's Old Key West Resort is undergoing some refurbishment projects across the property until further notice and guests may notice work being done through noise should not be heard from guest rooms between dusk and 9:00AM. The resort remains in full operation with pools, dining, merchandise and recreation areas all open.
- Disney's Pop Century Resort - Bowling Pool (50's area) will be closed late February - May 2018; the Hippy Dippy feature pool and Computer Pool will remain open at this time. Room refurbishments will continue through Summer 2018 but many buildings are already done.
- Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter Resort - Room refurbishments will begin in early January and continue through late Spring 2018. Construction activities will be limited to 9:00AM - Dusk. The resort remains in full operation with pools, dining, merchandise and recreation areas all open.
- Disney's Yacht & Beach Club Convention Center is undergoing expansion work through Winter 2018 and guests may notice work being done through noise should not be heard from guest rooms between dusk and 9:00AM. The resort remains in full operation with pools, dining, merchandise and recreation areas all open.
Don't Miss Out on Great Experiences at Disney World!
We want to help you have the most wonderful, most memorable Disney vacation possible. We know that giving you good, up-to-date information and a few simple tools will make a huge difference in your Disney vacation. Long lines become short lines and you will have great memories of shared experiences instead of missed opportunities. That's why we're called Build A Better Mouse Trip.
Here’s how we help you have a great vacation:
- Your travel agent – You have one agent from start-to-finish who knows your name and your priorities and who wants to do everything possible to help you have a wonderful experience.
- “Best Days” Itinerary – We’ll help you build an itinerary that includes your priorities for fireworks, parades, crowds and shows. Then we help with dining & Fastpass+ reservations.
- Saving Money – Of course we watch for discounts and promotion and automatically apply the best available offer to your reservation but we also help you avoid up-sells and options you won’t use.
- We Are Fee-Free - We book directly through Disney and we never charge a service fee so you never pay any extra to use our services when you book your trip through us. You can have all the benefits Disney offers PLUS all the services we offer. You can also purchase planning services through us if you've booked on your own or through another travel agency.
Special Events at Disney World in April:
- Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival - February 28 - May 28, 2018. This beautiful event is included with park admission and features whimsical topiaries, special displays, gardening seminars, and Garden Rocks mini-concerts at the American Gardens Theatre stage on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday at 5:30, 6:45, & 8:00pm. 2018's performance line-up: March 2 - 5: Night Ranger / March 9 - 12: STARSHIP starring Mickey' Thomas / March 16 - 19: Simple Plan / March 23 - 26: Little River Band / March 30 - April 2: The Orchestra, starring former members of ELO / April 6-7: Foghat / April 8 -9: Survivor / April 13 - 14: Smash Mouth / April 15 - 16: Rick Springfield / April 22 - 23: Lonestar / April 27 - 30: Blood, Sweat & Tears, featuring Bo Bice / May 4 - 7: Herman's Hermits, starring Peter Noone / May 11 - 12: Village People featuring Victor Willis / May 13 - 14: Don Felder, formerly of The Eagles / May 18 - 21: The Guess Who / May 25 - 28: The Spinners
- Party for the Planet at Disney's Animal Kingdom park - April 22 - May 5, 2018. Special events included in admission include a special welcome celebration in front of the on April 22 that includes special PhotoPass opportunities, Special Wilderness Explorers Badge location, and educationsal experiences at Rafiki's Planet Watch. Click here for more information
- Special Welcome Celebration in front of the Tree of Life at Disney's Animal Kingdom park on April 22 that includes music, dancers and beloved Disney characters.
- "Explorers Meet UP! A Great Bird Adventure" show will officially debut on April 22, 2018 at Disney's Animal Kingdom park. The show will feature Russell and Dug from Disney's "UP" discovering bird species from around the world.
Crowd Warnings for Disney World in April:
- Spring Break Season 2018: Crowds are moderate for early March but start building on March 11th and stay in the moderate-to-high zone for the remainder of the month. The highest crowd levels will be from March 24 - April 7, 2017. Get to the theme parks before they open to enjoy the lowest crowds of the day and use a good theme park touring plan to keep lines to a minimum and you'll be fine.
- Passover begins on March 30th and Easter is April 1, 2018. Crowds spike this week to peak levels. Plan to arrive before the park opens to enjoy the lowest crowds of the day and use a good touring plan to help keep lines to a minimum. Click here to learn more about theme park touring plans.
- Extra Magic Hours (EMH) - Extra Magic Hours are special times exclusively for guests of the official Disney World hotels where one theme park opens an hour early or stays open two hours late. The Extra Magic Hour(s) park is always the most crowded park of the day so you really need to think about your overall energy levels as you battle crowds and stay up late or get up early. It might make more sense for your family to enjoy more attractions in less time by going to a less crowded theme park. Older kids may enjoy the novelty of being at the Magic Kingdom late at night so don't rule that out - just decide in advance when Extra Magic Hours make sense for you. TIP: Not staying at an official Disney hotel? You especially need to know when Disney is having Extra Magic Hours so that you can avoid them.
- Fantasmic! at Disney's Hollywood Studios - Fantasmic! will probably have at least one performance every night in April. When two or three performances are offered, the later performances will always be less crowded than the earlier show. Warning: This show is excellent but it does feature villains for a good 8-10 minutes and the lake catches fire, which can be frightening to some small children.
- Disney Springs - Lego Store Events - The Lego Store offers periodic activities like building events or Lego Club meetings, and special offers. Click here for the current month and next month's calendar.
- Save time and money by having snacks, bottled water and other food items delivered directly to your resort by Garden Grocer - Click HERE for more information.
- Don't get overwhelmed by the details - let us help: High crowds/ low crowds. Long hours / short hours. It can be a lot to think through but vacation planning is always a lot easier when you have one of our Disney-focused travel agents on your side. Imagine how much better your vacation will be when we give you a "Best Days" itinerary that puts you in the best theme park for each day of your trip, book dining reservation on your behalf (subject to availability) at times that don't interfere with parades and fireworks, and by give you excellent theme park touring plans that keep lines to an absolute minimum. We eat, sleep, and breathe all things Disney so you get all of this expert service at no extra charge when you book your Disney vacation through Build A Better Mouse Trip.
Use the month buttons below for lists of Disney World ride closures, attraction refurbishments, special events and crowd warnings by month. We hope this information helps you have a wonderful and memorable vacation.