Disney World in May
May is such a wonderful month to visit Disney World. The weather is great and the crowds are low to moderate until Memorial Day Weekend. Keep reading to find out about crowds, closures and special events during your May trip to Disney World.
Average High: 87° f
Average Low: 65° f
Average Monthly Precipitation: 3.55"
Disney World Ride Closures & Refurbishments in May 2016:
- We will update this area as more information comes available.
- Magic Kingdom - Hall of Presidents closed January 17 - June 29, 2017
- Magic Kingdom -Wishes Fireworks final performance on May 11, 2017. "Happily Ever After", a new nighttime spectacular will debut on May 12th. Click here for more information.
- Disney's Wilderness Lodge - Construction projects will occur at the resort beginning October 2, 2015 and continuing throughout 2016 and into 2017. Noise from this work may be heard by guests, though work will not begin until after 9:00AM, daily. Certain pathways and the nature trail will be blocked. The Hidden Springs leisure pool at the Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge, the resort beach, playground and recreation fire pit will closed. The resort's main pool will be open during construction. Cub's Den (Children's Activity Center) closed January 3, 2016 - 2017. Roaring Forks and Trout Pass Pool bar will be closed February 13 - July 17, 2017.
- Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort - Old Port Royale Food Court, Shutters restaurant, Cabana Pool Bar & the Calypso Trading Post will be closed from May 1, 2017 to June 18, 2018. Dining options will be available for breakfast, lunch & dinner. Centertown will serve breakfast & dinner. Grab-and-Go meals like pastries, salads, fruit, and sandwiches will be sold in the Aruba, Jamaica and Aruba sections of the resort. In-room dining will still be available.
Don't Miss Out on Great Experiences at Disney World!
We want to help you have the most wonderful, most memorable Disney vacation possible. We know that giving you good, up-to-date information and a few simple tools will make a huge difference in your Disney vacation. Long lines become short lines and you will have great memories of shared experiences instead of missed opportunities. That's why we're called Build A Better Mouse Trip.
Here’s how we help you have a great vacation:
- Your travel agent – You have one agent from start-to-finish who knows your name and your priorities and who wants to do everything possible to help you have a wonderful experience.
- “Best Days” Itinerary – We’ll help you build an itinerary that includes your priorities for fireworks, parades, crowds and shows. Then we help with dining & Fastpass+ reservations.
- Saving Money – Of course we watch for discounts and promotion and automatically apply the best available offer to your reservation but we also help you avoid up-sells and options you won’t use.
- We Are Fee-Free - We book directly through Disney and we never charge a service fee so you never pay any extra to use our services when you book your trip through us. You can have all the benefits Disney offers PLUS all the services we offer. You can also purchase planning services through us if you've booked on your own or through another travel agency.
Crowd Warnings for Disney World in May:
- Moderate crowds for most of the month with moderate crowds May, 1 - 25, 2017. Memorial Day weekend is the beginning of the summer season and crowds will increase beginning May 26, 2017. Click here to learn about theme park touring plans that will keep you ahead of the crowds and out of the long lines.
- "Happily Ever After" Nighttime Spectacular (replaces Wishes) to debut in the Magic Kingdom on May 11, 2017. Click here for more information.
- Pandora: The World of Avatar will open in Disney's Animal Kingdom park on May 27, 2017. Click here for more information
- Epcot Flower & Garden Festival: March 1 - May 29, 2017. Saturdays & Sundays during the Flower & Garden Festival as the park will draw extra guests from the local area but there will be mini-concerts and extra events on the weekend and Epcot is large so it handles crowds better than other parks. If the festival events are not a priority, you may want to visit Epcot on a weekday instead.
- Extra Magic Hours - Extra Magic Hours are special times for guests of the official Disney World hotels where a park opens an hour early or stays open two hours late. The Extra Magic Hour(s) Park is always going to be the most crowded park of the day so you really need to think about your overall energy levels as you battle crowds and stay up late or get up early - in those situations, it might make more sense to enjoy more attractions in less time by going to a less crowded theme park. Older kids may enjoy the novelty of being at the Magic Kingdom late at night so don't rule that out - just decide in advance when Extra Magic Hours make sense for you. TIP: Not staying at an official Disney hotel? Then you really need to know when Disney is having Extra Magic Hours so that you can avoid them.
- Fantasmic! at Disney's Hollywood Studios - Fantasmic! will probably have at least one performance every night in May. When two or three performances are offered, the later performance will always be less crowded than the earlier show. Warning: This show is excellent but it does feature villains for a good 8-10 minutes and the lake catches fire, which can be frightening to some small children.
Special Events at Disney World in May:
- Cinco de Mayo at Rix's Lounge at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort - 8PM. Live DJ, $5 Margaritas, Sombrero contest, House Guacamole.
- Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival - March 1 - May 29, 2017. This beautiful event is included with park admission and features whimsical topiaries, special displays, gardening seminars, and Garden Rocks mini-concerts at the American Gardens Theatre stage on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday at 5:30, 6:45, & 8:00pm. 2017's performance line-up: To Be Announced
- The Magical Extras Savings Card is included in every Walt Disney World Resort vacation package and provides discounts at several restaurants, shops, and activities. Click here for full details.
- Disney Springs - Lego Store Events - The Lego Store offers periodic activities like building events or Lego Club meetings, and special offers. Click here for the current month and next month's calendar.
- Save time and money by having snacks, bottled water and other food items delivered directly to your resort by Garden Grocer - Click HERE for more information.
Use the month buttons below for lists of Disney World ride closures, attraction refurbishments, special events and crowd warnings by month. We hope this information helps you have a wonderful and memorable vacation.