Disney World in May
May is such a wonderful month to visit Disney World. The weather is great and the crowds are low to moderate until Memorial Day Weekend. Keep reading to find out about crowds, closures and special events during your May trip to Disney World.
Average High: 87° f
Average Low: 65° f
Average Monthly Precipitation: 3.55"
Disney World Ride Closures & Refurbishments in May 2018:
- Epcot - Kringla Bakeri Og Kafe (restaurant) closed until further notice.
- Disney's Hollywood Studios - Toy Story Mania FastPass+ not available April 9 -May 7, standby line will be open.
- Disney's Animal Kingdom - Festival of the Lion King closed May 9, 2018
- Disney Springs - Portobello Country Italian Trattoria is closed until further notice.
- Disney's All-Star Movies Resort - Duck Pond Leisure Pool will be closed January 2 - Spring 2018. Room refurbishments will begin in late February and continue through Winter 2018. Construction activities will be limited to 9:00AM - Dusk.
- Disney's Boardwalk Inn & Villas is undergoing some refurbishment projects across the property until further notice and guests may notice work being done through noise should not be heard from guest rooms between dusk and 9:00AM. The resort remains in full operation with pools, dining, merchandise and recreation areas all open.
- Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort - Old Port Royale Food Court, Shutters restaurant, Cabana Pool Bar & the Calypso Trading Post will be closed from May 1, 2017 to through Fall 2018. Dining options will be available for breakfast, lunch & dinner. Centertown will serve breakfast & dinner. Spyglass Grill is located in Trinidad South and serves breakfast. lunch and dinner. Grab-and-Go meals like pastries, salads, fruit, and sandwiches will be sold in the Aruba, Jamaica and Aruba sections of the resort. In-room dining will still be available.
- Disney's Coronado Springs Resort is undergoing some refurbishment projects across the property until further notice and guests may notice work being done through noise should not be heard from guest rooms between dusk and 9:00AM. The resort remains in full operation with pools, dining, merchandise and recreation areas all open.
- Disney's Grand Floridian Resort Beach Pool & Pool Bar will be closed January 2 - Spring 2018 though the water play area is still open. The courtyard pool is also open.
- Disney's Old Key West Resort Turtle Pond Pool, Turtle Shack Snack Bar and Flying Fish Game room closed April - Early July 2018. The resort is undergoing some refurbishment projects across the property until further notice and guests may notice work being done through noise should not be heard from guest rooms between dusk and 9:00AM. The resort remains in full operation with pools, dining, merchandise and recreation areas all open.
- Disney's Pop Century Resort - Bowling Pool (50's area) will be closed late February - May 2018; the Hippy Dippy feature pool and Computer Pool will remain open at this time. Room refurbishments will continue through Summer 2018 but many buildings are already done.
- Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter Resort - Room refurbishments will begin in early January and continue through late Spring 2018. Construction activities will be limited to 9:00AM - Dusk. The resort remains in full operation with pools, dining, merchandise and recreation areas all open.
- Disney's Yacht & Beach Club Convention Center is undergoing expansion work through Winter 2018 and guests may notice work being done through noise should not be heard from guest rooms between dusk and 9:00AM. The resort remains in full operation with pools, dining, merchandise and recreation areas all open.
Don't Miss Out on Great Experiences at Disney World!
We want to help you have the most wonderful, most memorable Disney vacation possible. We know that giving you good, up-to-date information and a few simple tools will make a huge difference in your Disney vacation. Long lines become short lines and you will have great memories of shared experiences instead of missed opportunities. That's why we're called Build A Better Mouse Trip.
Here’s how we help you have a great vacation:
- Your travel agent – You have one agent from start-to-finish who knows your name and your priorities and who wants to do everything possible to help you have a wonderful experience.
- “Best Days” Itinerary – We’ll help you build an itinerary that includes your priorities for fireworks, parades, crowds and shows. Then we help with dining & Fastpass+ reservations.
- Saving Money – Of course we watch for discounts and promotion and automatically apply the best available offer to your reservation but we also help you avoid up-sells and options you won’t use.
- We Are Fee-Free - We book directly through Disney and we never charge a service fee so you never pay any extra to use our services when you book your trip through us. You can have all the benefits Disney offers PLUS all the services we offer. You can also purchase planning services through us if you've booked on your own or through another travel agency.
Crowd Warnings for Disney World in May:
- Moderate crowds for most of the month with moderate crowds May, 1 - 25, 2018. Memorial Day weekend is the beginning of the summer season and crowds will increase beginning May 26, 2018. Click here to learn about theme park touring plans that will keep you ahead of the crowds and out of the long lines.
- Extra Magic Hours - Extra Magic Hours are special times for guests of the official Disney World hotels where a park opens an hour early or stays open two hours late. The Extra Magic Hour(s) Park is always going to be the most crowded park of the day so you really need to think about your overall energy levels as you battle crowds and stay up late or get up early - in those situations, it might make more sense to enjoy more attractions in less time by going to a less crowded theme park. Older kids may enjoy the novelty of being at the Magic Kingdom late at night so don't rule that out - just decide in advance when Extra Magic Hours make sense for you. TIP: Not staying at an official Disney hotel? Then you really need to know when Disney is having Extra Magic Hours so that you can avoid them.
- Fantasmic! at Disney's Hollywood Studios - Fantasmic! will probably have at least one performance every night in May. When two or three performances are offered, the later performance will always be less crowded than the earlier show. Warning: This show is excellent but it does feature villains for a good 8-10 minutes and the lake catches fire, which can be frightening to some small children.
Special Events at Disney World in May 2018:
- Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival - February 28 - May 28, 2018. This beautiful event is included with park admission and features whimsical topiaries, special displays, gardening seminars, and Garden Rocks mini-concerts at the American Gardens Theatre stage on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday at 5:30, 6:45, & 8:00pm. 2018's performance line-up: March 2 - 5: Night Ranger / March 9 - 12: STARSHIP starring Mickey' Thomas / March 16 - 19: Simple Plan / March 23 - 26: Little River Band / March 30 - April 2: The Orchestra, starring former members of ELO / April 6-7: Foghat / April 8 -9: Survivor / April 13 - 14: Smash Mouth / April 15 - 16: Rick Springfield / April 22 - 23: Lonestar / April 27 - 30: Blood, Sweat & Tears, featuring Bo Bice / May 4 - 7: Herman's Hermits, starring Peter Noone / May 11 - 12: Village People featuring Victor Willis / May 13 - 14: Don Felder, formerly of The Eagles / May 18 - 21: The Guess Who / May 25 - 28: The Spinners
- Party for the Planet at Disney's Animal Kingdom park - April 22 - May 5, 2018. Special events included in admission include a special welcome celebration in front of the on April 22 that includes special PhotoPass opportunities, Special Wilderness Explorers Badge location, and educationsal experiences at Rafiki's Planet Watch. Click here for more information
- A Dino-tastic Celebration with Donald Duck and Friends will premiere Memorial Day Weekend in Dinoland USA. At this dinosaur-themed party celebrates Donald's Duck's discovery that his bird ancestors were actually dinosaurs. Dinoland USA will feature new decor and playful character greetings with rarely seen pals like Scrooge McDuck, Lunchpad McQuack, and more. A DJ powered dance party will mix tunes from the truck-o-saurus stage, capping the nighttime festivities.
- The Magical Extras Savings Card is included in every Walt Disney World Resort vacation package and provides discounts at several restaurants, shops, and activities. Click here for full details.
- Disney Springs - Lego Store Events - The Lego Store offers periodic activities like building events or Lego Club meetings, and special offers. Click here for the current month and next month's calendar.
- Save time and money by having snacks, bottled water and other food items delivered directly to your resort by Garden Grocer - Click HERE for more information.
Use the month buttons below for lists of Disney World ride closures, attraction refurbishments, special events and crowd warnings by month. We hope this information helps you have a wonderful and memorable vacation.