Disney World in September
September is a great time to visit Disney World - it is still hot but the kids are back in school and the crowds are low. Keep reading to find out about crowds, closures and special events during your September trip to Disney World.
Average High: 89° f
Average Low: 72° f
Average Monthly Precipitation: 6.31"
Disney World Ride Closures and Refurbishments in September 2017:
- Magic Kingdom - Wishes Fireworks will NOT be presented on every night in September. The Wishes fireworks are currently scheduled for September (Dates To Be Announced).
- Magic Kingdom will close to the general public at 7:00PM on September (Dates To Be Announced) due to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, a separately ticketed event.
- Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort - Old Port Royale Food Court, Shutters restaurant, Cabana Pool Bar & the Calypso Trading Post will be closed from May 1, 2017 to June 18, 2018. Dining options will be available for breakfast, lunch & dinner. Centertown will serve breakfast & dinner. Grab-and-Go meals like pastries, salads, fruit, and sandwiches will be sold in the Aruba, Jamaica and Aruba sections of the resort. In-room dining will still be available.
- Disney's Hollywood Studios - Fantasmic. When there are two or more performances of Fantasmic, the later performance(s) will always be less crowded than the first performance of the evening.
Special Events at Disney World in September:
- The Magical Extras Savings Card is included in every Walt Disney World Resort vacation package and provides discounts at several restaurants, shops, and activities. Click here for full details.
- Nights of Joy - September 8 & 9, 2017 at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. - This event features some of the Christian Contemporary music's top performers and requires a special event ticket that can be purchased in advance or at the gate.
- Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - Select night at Magic Kingdom / 7PM - Midnight - This is another specially ticketed event - you cannot use your Magic Your Way or Park Hopper Ticket - and is a lot of fun for families. Ticket prices vary from $67 - $105, depending on the date and age of participant. These parties include special activities, a parade, fireworks, rides and trick-or-treating and many guests wear costumes. Remember that this time of year can still be hot so choose costumes that will be comfortable. Warning: The Magic Kingdom will close to the public at 7pm on party nights and won't have a Main Street Electrical Parade or Wishes fireworks on these nights. Restaurant reservations in the resorts closest to the Magic Kingdom fill early on these nights. 2017 Party dates: September (To Be Announced). Click here for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party tips and information.
- Epcot's International Food & Wine Festival - August 31 - November 13, 2017. This very popular event is included with your regular Epcot admission although there are special events related to this festival that do have a separate fee. Enjoy food and wine themed demonstrations. Chefs and winemakers from around the globe have booths were you can savor the amazing flavors available for sale- both in full meals and in snack sized portions. Disney Dining Plan credits can typically be used for non-alcoholic items - in fact, a lot of people "hoard" their snack credits just to use at the festival. Tip: This is a very popular event so the weekends will be more crowded than usual at Epcot as locals and annual passholders come to take in the festivities. Weekdays, especially Mondays, will be much less crowded.
- Disney Springs - Lego Store Events - The Lego Store offers periodic activities like building events or Lego Club meetings, and special offers. Click here for the current month and next month's calendar.
Crowd Warnings for Disney World in September:
- Extra Magic Hours - Extra Magic Hour(s) is when one of the Disney theme parks opens an hour early or stays open two extra hours after closing for guests staying at one of the official Disney hotels. Even though the Extra Magic Hour Park will always be the most crowded park of the day, the crowds are so low in September that it isn't a big problem so go ahead and enjoy the Extra Magic Hours, if you're interested. Guests staying at a non-Disney hotel still need to know which park has Extra Magic Hours so you don't end up in line behind people who got in an hour before you. Check here to see the schedule for Extra Magic Hours during your Disney vacation.
- Be smart about Character Breakfast reservations - Even though the crowds are low, I still want you to be careful about Character Breakfast reservations because the theme parks are at their least crowded and coolest when the parks first open for the day. There is no good reason to sit in a restaurant when lines are at their shortest and then go into the theme park when the day is heating up and the lines have already started to form. A character lunch or dinner that gets you out of the direct sun and out of the crowds later in the day can be a better plan. At the very least, book a late character breakfast seating and treat it like brunch - this will still let you enjoy the short lines just after park opening before sitting down to eat.
- Fantasmic! at Disney's Hollywood Studios - At this point, there is at least one Fantasmic! performance scheduled for every night in September. When there are two peformances scheduled, second performance will always be less crowded than the first. Warning: This show is excellent but it does feature villains for a good 8-10 minutes and the lake catches fire, which can be frightening to some small children.
- Save time and money by having snacks, bottled water and other food items delivered directly to your resort by Garden Grocer - Click HERE for more information.
Don't Miss Out on Great Experiences at Disney World!
We want to help you have the most wonderful, most memorable Disney vacation possible. We know that giving you good, up-to-date information and a few simple tools will make a huge difference in your Disney vacation. Long lines become short lines and you will have great memories of shared experiences instead of missed opportunities. That's why we're called Build A Better Mouse Trip.
Here’s how we help you have a great vacation:
- Your travel agent – You have one agent from start-to-finish who knows your name and your priorities and who wants to do everything possible to help you have a wonderful experience.
- “Best Days” Itinerary – We’ll help you build an itinerary that includes your priorities for fireworks, parades, crowds and shows. Then we help with dining & Fastpass+ reservations.
- Saving Money – Of course we watch for discounts and promotion and automatically apply the best available offer to your reservation but we also help you avoid up-sells and options you won’t use.
- We Are Fee-Free - We book directly through Disney and we never charge a service fee so you never pay any extra to use our services when you book your trip through us. You can have all the benefits Disney offers PLUS all the services we offer. You can also purchase planning services through us if you've booked on your own or through another travel agency.
Use the month buttons below for lists of Disney World ride closures, attraction refurbishments, special events and crowd warnings by month. We hope this information helps you have a wonderful and memorable vacation.