Disney World in August
The first two weeks of August can be quite busy but the crowds slowly decrease over the last half of the month as kids head back to school. A little advance planning will reap huge rewards in vacation enjoyment. Keep reading to find out about crowds, closures and special events during your August trip to Disney World.
Average High: 92° f
Average Low: 73° f
Average Monthly Precipitation: 7.85"
Disney World Ride Closures and Refurbishments in August 2018:
- We will update this section as information is released.
- Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort - Old Port Royale Food Court, Shutters restaurant, Cabana Pool Bar & the Calypso Trading Post will be closed from May 1, 2017 through Fall 2018. Dining options will be available for breakfast, lunch & dinner. Centertown will serve breakfast & dinner. Grab-and-Go meals like pastries, salads, fruit, and sandwiches will be sold in the Aruba, Jamaica and Aruba sections of the resort. In-room dining will still be available.
Don't Miss Out on Great Experiences at Disney World!
We want to help you have the most wonderful, most memorable Disney vacation possible. We know that giving you good, up-to-date information and a few simple tools will make a huge difference in your Disney vacation. Long lines become short lines and you will have great memories of shared experiences instead of missed opportunities. That's why we're called Build A Better Mouse Trip.
Here’s how we help you have a great vacation:
- Your travel agent – You have one agent from start-to-finish who knows your name and your priorities and who wants to do everything possible to help you have a wonderful experience.
- “Best Days” Itinerary – We’ll help you build an itinerary that includes your priorities for fireworks, parades, crowds and shows. Then we help with dining & Fastpass+ reservations.
- Saving Money – Of course we watch for discounts and promotion and automatically apply the best available offer to your reservation but we also help you avoid up-sells and options you won’t use.
- We Are Fee-Free - We book directly through Disney and we never charge a service fee so you never pay any extra to use our services when you book your trip through us. You can have all the benefits Disney offers PLUS all the services we offer. You can also purchase planning services through us if you've booked on your own or through another travel agency.
Special Events at Disney World in August
- Disney Springs - Lego Store Events - The Lego Store offers periodic activities like building events or Lego Club meetings, and special offers. Click here for the current month and next month's calendar.
- The Magical Extras Savings Card is included in every Walt Disney World Resort vacation package and provides discounts at several restaurants, shops, and activities. Click here for full details.
- Epcot Entertainment - Suroit / Canada Pavilion Mill Stage / August 31 - October 1: This band from Canada's Magdalen Islands (eastern Quebec) is debuting at Epcot with a sound influenced by Cajun, Celtic, blue grass and rock music.
- Epcot Entertainment - Margaret Almer & The Bavarian Band / Germany Pavilione / August 31 - the Holiday Season: TWorld famous yodler!
- Special Bambi Meet & Greet at Disney's Animal Kingdom - August 25 - 27, 2017 / 10:20AM - 4:00PM. Too celebrate the 75th anniversary of the movie Bambi, Disney is offering a special meet and greet with Thumper and Miss Bunny outside of Conservation Station at Rafiki's Planet Watch. Disney PhotoPass photographers will be on hand an dtwo special Magic Shots will be available.
Crowd Warnings for Disney World in August:
- Think through Extra Magic Hours - Extra Magic Hour(s) is when one of the Disney theme parks opens an hour early or stays open two extra hours after closing for guests staying at one of the official Disney hotels. There are a lot of Disney hotel rooms so a lot of people will head to the Extra Magic Hour park and that park will always be the most crowded park of the day. You'll enjoy more attractions in less time by going to a less crowded park. Guests staying at a non-Disney hotel really need to know which park has Extra Magic Hours so you don't end up in line behind people who got in an hour before you. Keep your energy levels in mind too - Extra Magic Hours mean getting up extra early or staying up extra late. We're not saying you should never do Extra Magic Hours, just think through the above issues to decide if /when it really is a benefit to you. Check here to see the schedule for Extra Magic Hours during your Disney vacation.
- Be smart about Character Breakfast reservations - The theme parks are at their least crowded and coolest when the parks first open for the day so I don't want you sitting in a restaurant when crowds are low and then heading to the parks when lines have formed and it is getting hot. If possible, book a character lunch or dinner that gets you out of the direct sun and out of the crowds later in the day. If your family loves character breakfast, try a resort character breakfast before going to the water parks or on your departure day. Another option is to book a late character breakfast seating and treat it like brunch - this will still let you enjoy the short lines at park opening before sitting down to eat.
- Fantasmic! at Disney's Hollywood Studios - Fantasmic! will have at least one performance every night in August. If a second performance is offered, it will always be less crowded than the first. Plan to arrive 60 minutes prior to the show. Warning: This show is excellent but it does feature villains for a good 8-10 minutes and the lake catches fire, which can be frightening to some small children.
- Minimize lines with a good theme park Touring Plan - A lot of people think long lines are inevitable at Disney World but there is good information available that lets you enjoy shorter lines. We provide excellent theme park touring plans at no extra cost to everyone who books their Disney vacation through Build A Better Mouse Trip.
- Save time and money by having snacks, bottled water and other food items delivered directly to your resort by Garden Grocer - Click HERE for more information.
- Put a Disney expert in your corner - If you found this information helpful, you will love having one of our Disney-focused travel agents help with your whole vacation planning process. We provide expert advice and information, make well-informed recommendations and help with dining reservations so you have a wonderful and memorable Disney World vacation - the best part is there is no extra cost to use our services when you book through Build A Better Mouse Trip.
Use the month buttons below for lists of Disney World ride closures, attraction refurbishments, special events and crowd warnings by month. We hope this information helps you have a wonderful and memorable vacation.