Disney World in July
July is a very busy month at the Walt Disney World Resort but don't let the crowds discourage you. With some advance planning, you can have a great time on your summer vacation to Disney World. Arrive at your park of choice at least 20 minutes before it opens in the morning, have a good theme park touring plan and you'll be able to have a great time. The parks are cooler and at their least crowded for the first hour-and-a-half after park opening (typically at 9AM) so it is much better to arrive early and take a mid-day break than to arrive late and get in line behind everyone else. Keep reading to find out about crowds, closures and special events during your July trip to Disney World.
Average High: 91° f
Average Low: 73° f
Average Monthly Precipitation: 7.47"
Disney World Ride Closures and Refurbishments in July 2017:
- Magic Kingdom - the Main Street Electrical Parade is no longer presented. The parade was moved to Disneyland in California.
- Epcot - Mission: SPACE and Advance Training Lab closed June 5 - July 28, 2017.
- DisneyQuest in Disney Springs will have its last day of operation on July 2, 2017 before closing permanently to make way for The NBA Experience. Click here for more information.
- Disney Springs - Portobello Country Italian Trattoria (restaurant) closed April 23 - Fall 2017
- Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort - Old Port Royale Food Court, Shutters restaurant, Cabana Pool Bar & the Calypso Trading Post will be closed from May 1, 2017 to June 18, 2018. Dining options will be available for breakfast, lunch & dinner. Centertown will serve breakfast & dinner. Grab-and-Go meals like pastries, salads, fruit, and sandwiches will be sold in the Aruba, Jamaica and Aruba sections of the resort. In-room dining will still be available.
- Disney's Wilderness Lodge - Construction projects will occur at the resort beginning October 2, 2015 and continuing into July 2017. Noise from this work may be heard by guests, though work will not begin until after 9:00AM, daily. Certain pathways and the nature trail will be blocked. The Hidden Springs leisure pool at the Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge, the resort beach, playground and recreation fire pit will closed. The resort's main pool will be open during construction. Cub's Den (Children's Activity Center) closed January 3, 2016 - 2017. Roaring Forks and Trout Pass Pool bar will be closed February 13 - July 17, 2017.
- The Magical Extras Savings Card is included in every Walt Disney World Resort vacation package and provides discounts at several restaurants, shops, and activities. Click here for full details.
Don't Miss Out on Great Experiences at Disney World!
We want to help you have the most wonderful, most memorable Disney vacation possible. We know that giving you good, up-to-date information and a few simple tools will make a huge difference in your Disney vacation. Long lines become short lines and you will have great memories of shared experiences instead of missed opportunities. That's why we're called Build A Better Mouse Trip.
Here’s how we help you have a great vacation:
- Your travel agent – You have one agent from start-to-finish who knows your name and your priorities and who wants to do everything possible to help you have a wonderful experience.
- “Best Days” Itinerary – We’ll help you build an itinerary that includes your priorities for fireworks, parades, crowds and shows. Then we help with dining & Fastpass+ reservations.
- Saving Money – Of course we watch for discounts and promotion and automatically apply the best available offer to your reservation but we also help you avoid up-sells and options you won’t use.
- We Are Fee-Free - We book directly through Disney and we never charge a service fee so you never pay any extra to use our services when you book your trip through us. You can have all the benefits Disney offers PLUS all the services we offer. You can also purchase planning services through us if you've booked on your own or through another travel agency.
- Independence Day - 4th of July: This is one of the busiest days of the year at Disney World. The Magic Kingdom often closes to capacity on the 4th of July and will be super-busy so visit a different park and enjoy lower crowds. Disney's Hollywood Studios, while still crowded, always has 4th of July Fireworks and is a better choice. Don't fret about missing the Magic Kingdom fireworks - they're offered on July 3rd so just see them a day early.
- Avoid Extra Magic Hours - Extra Magic Hour(s) is when one of the Disney theme parks opens an hour early or stays open two extra hours after closing for guests staying at one of the official Disney hotels. Because Disney has 33,000 rooms and no one goes to Disney alone, too many people are being pointed in the same direction at the same time and the Extra Magic Hour theme park will always be the busiest park of the day - not a good thing during the busy summer season. You also need to be realistic about your exhaustion levels because getting to a theme park by 8:00AM means leaving your resort no later than 7:30AM. Do you really want to get up that early on vacation? Will your kids have the energy necessary to enjoy evening Extra Magic Hours that don't begin until 9:00PM or later? You need to be especially aware of Extra Magic Hours if you're not staying at a Disney hotel because you sure don't want to have to get in line behind all those Disney hotel guests. If not, a different park is a better choice. Some people really enjoy Extra Magic Hours and that is completely fine - we just want to be sure you think through the information above to make sure they're a good choice for you.
- Avoid Character Breakfasts in July - The theme parks are at their least crowded and coolest when the parks first open for the day so it is far better to book a character lunch or dinner that gets you out of the direct sun and out of the crowds later in the day. If you're really looking forward to a character breakfast, try a resort character breakfast before going to the water parks, on a day you are skipping the theme parks to relax or on your departure day. Another option is to book a late character breakfast seating and treat it like brunch - this will still let you enjoy the short lines at park opening before sitting down to eat.
- Fantasmic! at Disney's Hollywood Studios - Fantasmic is being offered (To Be Announced). When Disney has two Fantasmic! performances, the second performance will always be less crowded than the first. If you're going to the earlier performance, arrive 60 - 90 minutes early. Warning: This show is excellent but it does feature villains for a good 8-10 minutes and the lake catches fire, which can be frightening to some small children.
- Minimize lines with a good theme park Touring Plan - You will see lines that are 1-3 hours long but you don't have to stand in them to see and do all the things that are important to you. A good touring plan puts the best research in your hands and will keep you ahead of the crowds and out of the long lines. Best of all, everyone's favorites will be included when you have a good plan that includes all of your priorities in a way that doesn't just follow the herd. We provide excellent theme park touring plans at no extra cost to everyone who books their Disney vacation through Build A Better Mouse Trip. Click here for more information.
- Save time and money by having snacks, bottled water and other food items delivered directly to your resort by Garden Grocer - Click HERE for more information.
July Special Events at Disney World
- Epcot - Sounds Like Summer Concert series - included with park admission. Dates & Performers To Be Announced.
- Disney Springs - Lego Store Events - The Lego Store offers periodic activities like building events or Lego Club meetings, and special offers. Click here for the current month and next month's calendar.
Use the month buttons below for lists of Disney World ride closures, attraction refurbishments, special events and crowd warnings by month. We hope this information helps you have a wonderful and memorable vacation.