Disney announced today that the new Toy Story Land in Disney's Hollywood Studios at the Walt Disney World Resort will open on June 20, 2018. Disney has not given a date when FastPass+ reservations will be available for the new attractions but, based on normal FastPass+ availability, we suspect it might be right around April 20 - 22 for guests whose trips will include June 30th.
The new Toy Story Land will include:
- Toy Story Mania! (a fan favorite for years)
- Slinky Dog Dash - a roller-coaster style ride that will be fun for the whole family!
- Alien Swirling Saucers - a spinning ride
- Woody & Buzz Lightyear Meet-and-Greet location
- Woody's Lunch Box - walk up window (quick-service restaurant) serving classic American fare, old-fashioned soda floats and other Toy Story themed specialties.
- Click here to read the Disney Parks blog official announcement
As I have mentioned before, being there for the opening of a new attraction or land is exciting if you get to Disney World on a fairly regular basis and you don't mind spending hours in line just for the excitement of being one of the first to experience a new ride or attraction but it can actually be a bit of a bummer if this is a once-in-a-lifetime type trip or if you don't get to Disney often because park hours may get modified as Disney hosts media and travel trade events to build up buzz about the new area. When Pandora opened last year, there were technical glitches with the new rides that had to be worked out in the days immediately following the opening. For some people, it makes sense to give it a little time before you visit.
In other related news, Disney has also announced that they will not be changing the name of Disney's Hollywood Studios in the foreseeable future. Back in 2015, Bob Iger said that a new name might be in the works for the park that has already had one name change back on January 7, 2008 when the name was changed from Disney-MGM Studios to Disney's Hollywood Studios.