Everything you need to know about using Disney’s Rider Switch Pass
A Build A Better Mouse Trip How-To Guide
The Rider Switch Pass is important information for anyone traveling with younger children who will not be big enough – or brave enough - to ride certain attractions. The rider swap pass allows adults traveling with small children or family members with special needs to efficiently trade places on any attraction with a height or age restriction. You can always get a Rider Switch Pass when your child is too small for a height restricted attraction but some parents don’t realize that you may also use this service for the child who is physically tall enough for a particular attraction but is frightened and doesn’t want to ride.
Here’s how it works
Standby Lines: Rider Switch isn't available at every attraction, especially if it is a ride that is generally appropriate for all ages but you can always ask the Cast Member (Disney employee) if it is available for that attraction. In most cases, you will all go through the line together and, somewhere before boarding the attraction, you will receive a pass that lets one parent exit with the non-rider while the rest of the party rides now. In most cases, the waiting adult will be issued a Rider Swap Pass that allows him or her to ride the attraction at any point in the day using the FASTPASS® entrance. Ask the Cast Member how many riders can ride using the Rider Switch Pass. Disney knows that nobody likes to ride alone so at least two people can ride using one Rider Switch Pass. Other attractions let up to three or four people ride using one Rider Switch Pass.
There are play areas and baby care areas throughout the parks so that you can let the little one play, or take care of their needs while waiting.
FASTPASS+ Lines: You use a similar method to get a Rider Switch Pass when using the FASTPASS+ system. When it is your FASTPASS+ time, present your non-riding child to the Cast Member at the FASTPASS+ entrance at your and ask for a Rider Switch Pass. The Cast Member will issue a Rider Switch Pass to the waiting adult. Before riding, ask how many people can accompany the Rider Switch Pass-holder. Being able to have one or more people accompany you is why you get a Rider Switch Pass – the waiting adult would end up riding alone if you just waited and used the scheduled FASTPASS+ reservation. This also provides protection against losing a FASTPASS+ reservation if the first group of riders don’t return prior to end of the FASTPASS+ window.
Here’s how this looks with a more specific example - your little one is too small to ride Tower of Terror but your group has Tower of Terror FASTPASS+ reservations. When you go to ride Tower of Terror, take the baby to the Disney Cast Member at the FASTPASS+ entrance. The Cast Member will scan your Magic Band or ticket and confirm your FASTPASS+ reservation and then issue a Rider Switch Pass. The non-riding child and waiting adult can find something to do while the first group rides. Check to see how many people can ride using the one rider swap pass; three people can usually ride Tower of Terror using one Rider Swap Pass – the pass-holder and two extra friends/family members. Someone from the first group can now take charge of the non-riding child while the first waiting adult and a couple others of others enter and ride without having to get in the back of the line.
Why this is important
- You don’t have to line up twice or one parent doesn’t have to just miss out on popular attractions because you have younger children that are too small, unsure or nervous about an attraction.
- Just from a practical standpoint, you need to know the most efficient means of letting everyone ride height restricted attractions.
- More importantly (at least for the older kids in your party), the baby actually gives you a tactical advantage during peak travel times. Because the Rider Switch Pass lets up to 3 people accompany the pass-holder, this is the best way to ensure that the older kids get to ride the headliners / thrill rides multiple times. This is a huge advantage and saves a lot of backtracking. Once your older kids get the hang of this, you may not see your little darling for long periods of time in the afternoons as they use their mobile super-FASTPASS. It should encourage sibling bonding :-)
Disney World Attractions offering Rider Switch Passes
Magic Kingdom Park
- The Barnstormer
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
- Space Mountain
- Splash Mountain
- Stitch’s Great Escape
- Tomorrowland Indy Speedway
- Frozen Ever After
- Mission: SPACE
- Test Track
Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Rock ’n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
- Star Tours® - The Adventures Continue
- Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
Disney’s Animal Kingdom Park
- Expedition Everest - Legend of the Forbidden Mountain®
- Kali River Rapids
- Primeval Whirl
Don't Miss Out on Great Experiences at Disney World!
We want to help you have the most wonderful, most memorable Disney World vacation possible. We know that giving you good, up-to-date information and a few simple tools will make a huge difference in your experience. Long lines become short lines and you will have great memories of shared experiences instead of missed opportunities.
Here’s how we help you have a great vacation:
- Your travel agent – You have one agent from start-to-finish who knows your name and your priorities and who wants to do everything possible to help you have a wonderful experience.
- “Best Days” Itinerary – We’ll help you build an itinerary that includes your priorities for fireworks, parades, crowds and shows. Then we help with dining & Fastpass+ reservations.
- Saving Money – Of course we watch for discounts and promotion and automatically apply the best available offer to your reservation but we also help you avoid up-sells and options you won’t use.
- We Are Fee-Free - We book directly through Disney and we never charge a service fee so you never pay any extra to use our services when you book your trip through us. You can have all the benefits Disney offers PLUS all the services we offer. You can also purchase planning services through us if you've booked on your own or through another travel agency